MOTU PREMIER GRABS HORORATA CUP THANKS TO SMART OPTIONS BY TIM WILLIAMS
TRIFECTA MIRACLE IN NSW DERBY ON A MIRACLE MILE NIGHT!- SEASONOZ WINNINGS OVER $2M!
MILESTONES FROM MENANGLE
*** ALL STARS WON $A650,000 AT MENANGLE ON SATURDAY-IT HAS WON OVER $A2M IN OZ FOR THE SEASON
***ALL STARS HAS WON MORE MONEY- $2,174M- THIS SEASON TO DATE IN AUSTRALIA THAN IN NZ -$1.96M - in spite of NZ and Auckland Cup /Sires Stakes wins.
***LAZARUS HAS JOINED THE SELECT $A2m STAKES WINNING CLUB -THE FIRST TO DO SO AS A 4YO!
***SMOLDA NEEDS ONE MORE RACE TO TOP $1M WON THIS SEASON JUST IN AUSTRALIA! -$988,000 TO DATE AND HAS BROKEN 1.50 for the mile
***PICCADILLY PRINCESS HAS 9 STARTS IN AUSTRALIA FOR SIX WINS (2 G1) TWO SECONDS AND OVER $300,000 IN STAKES
***LAZARUS HAS WON OVER $A500,000 IN STAKES SINCE JANUARY 23-FIVE WEEKS!
1) NSW OAKS (G1) PARTYON - Mark. As he predicted Mark went for the "Hail Mary" run on the pegs praying for the right gap in the turn. It eventually came and Mark went and while Pectacular , the filly Mark feared, fought bravely the All Stars filly now unbeaten of nine races and headed for Pascoe Northern Oaks. iT WAS THE THIRD WIN IN SUCCESSIION IN THE NSW OAKS for All Stars but Partyon, maybe at least as good as her two predecessors, only had to run three seconds slower than Dream About Me and Fight for Glory who both clocked 2.50.3
2) LADYSHIP MILE (G1) PICCADILLY PRINCESS -Natalie (her first race drive on the mare !). It is great to have the best horse in the race but had Natalie not driven with imagination and boldness this one might not have happened. She used "Pica"s fitness and ability to force the issue to stay in touch with major rival and last year's winner Frith. It wasn't pretty but it was pretty ingenious putting Pica in a position to win the race and she did the rest. They will look back on Piccadilly Princess's record as a label for "underrated" though she has been exceptional with only super mare Dream About Me to contend with. Clever planning from Mark and Natalie have put her in races like the Victorian Oaks, and other Australian features as well as winning the Pascoe Northern Oaks and the Harness Jewels. She has now won well over $400,000 for the Patterson/Ward family team -and she is not finished yet.
THE GROUP ONE WINNERS AT MENANGLE
Piccadilly Princess, Partyon, Vincent
Piccadilly Princess ran her mile in 1.50.4
3) NSW DERBY (G1) VINCENT -Mark Trifecta with Ultimate Machete and Motu Meteor- It is easy to miss how clever a drive this was on the winner and for that matter reward Natalie got for her pre-race promise about to "drive him aggressively". She pushed on to give Vincent the trail but Mark had already played a major card managing a 58. 3 lead time which was a lot slower than the NSW Oaks earlier. Mark had to be patient getting the chance to challenge but then it unfolded as he had predicted the handsome Art Major youngster-not going to the Woodlands Derby-winning well. This is the first time the stable has quinellaed a Derby race in Australiaand in spite of the easier opening quarters, Vincent's mile rate was faster than that of Lazarus last year. He ran his last 400m in 25.5 !
nb All Stars hasn't done it in a Derby before but has posted three year old G1 trifectas in Sires Stakes Finals and Harness Jewels. Lazarus and Chase the Dream quinellaed the Woodlands Derby last year. Have Faith in Me and Follow The Stars quinealled both NZ Derby events in 2014
4) BOHEMIA CRYSTAL (Have Faith In Me 2nd). The Group 1 mood was broken but it was almost as big a triumph as Have Faith In Me signalled he was back -big time!. Beaten fair and square by a pegs runner , sure, but last year's Miracle Mile winner had done a lot of the work and softened up the leaders until succumbing very late. There are probably Group One wins Mark and Natalie have had less satisfaction over than this placing !
Have Faith In Me broke 2.50 for the 2400m a 1.53.6 mile rate. But he was outside the record set by Smolda last year of 2.48.
5) MIRACLE MILE (G1) (Smolda 2nd, Lazarus 3rd Waikiki Beach 4th) Beaten on their merits given the winner's first 400 and subsequently parked, but they went terrific races and it briefly looked as if SMOLDA was going to top a wonderful career . LAZARUS had to work from the back early to get the one one and WAIKIKI BEACH who again showed there is not that much between our stars almost pipping Laz for third.
At the Workouts 1) Stars Align shapes up but... 2) Pacing Major stretches out over the final stages 3) All U Need is Faith and Major Lucky 4) Major Lucky strides out 5) Spankem spanks em, The Devils Own 3rd.
Results: Major Lucky 1st, All You Need is Faith 3rd 2.48.1 57.1/27.6. Stars Align and Pacing Major2.48.9 59.2/27.8. Spankem 1st the Devil's Own 3rd (grass) 2.41.5 (2000m) 57.6
YOUNGSTERS SHOW OUT WELL AT WORKOUTS SATURDAY
"GOOD LUCK CHARM" ROY MAKES A RARE TRIP TO MENANGLE SATURDAY-RECORD 11 STABLE RUNNERS (Roy's Runners)
Duane Starts like He means to go on with Sky Major in Canada-winning first up
STATS CORNER: Lazarus just about to crack $A2m. Who else has done that ? (The Goss)
RACING THIS WEE
***MOTU PREMIER just seems to have a problem reminding punters what a good horse he is but the believers took the $3 win pricewith grateful thanks yesterday after Tim seized control of the race.
They hadn't even gone half way before Tim, a great admirer of Motu Premier, sent him in search of the lead with around 2000m still to go. That was the race basically. He was the best horse, Tim rated him perfectly and he stuck on strongly to win comfortably.
The result pushed the stable to 56 wins for the season within four of leading trainer, Robert Dunn, all the more surprising because All Stars has had few starters through January and February. That looks like changing soon,
***MARK AND NATALIEsigned for one colt at the Sydney sale on Sunday a $A25,000 purchase by Art Major from Postmark the dam and closely related to Express Post.
***THE MEMORYOF FORMER RANGIORA HORSEMAN, FRANK MURFITT hung heavily over the celebrations of the Van Beek family after ASHLEY LOCAZ dashed home impressively to win his juvenile debut at Addington Thursday. That was after a typical ice cool drive by Natalie who sat patiently 3 back, looked to be giving the leaders a good start but flashed home along the inner to win going away.
"Yes he was dashing. He has genuine speed. He will go to the Kindergarten now" Natalie said. "It was an encouraging run and it gives us a line on the other young ones both theirs and ours and that's encouraging too"
Peter Van Beek, the team leader in the family syndicate, worked with Frank Murfitt,the astute trainer who once prepared Ashley Knight who became the fastest New Zealand pacer ever when he ran 1.52.2 in the USA only a short time after leaving the Murfitt stable. Ashley Locaz is from that same family and hasproduced heaps of winners.
Peter's wife, Judy, is Frank Murfitt's daughter. Since the they have bred various horses from the family with good results.
Ashley Cullen, the dam of the colt, won races from Dean Taylor and David and Catherine Butt stables and Ashley Locaz is her first foal after two earlier matings did not end well.
Frank Murfitt was associated with this family from the 1940's , chiefly through the mare,Naomi Brigade, and it has produced a number of good winners over the years. Some were bred with Dr Clive Moody a stable supporter and the addition of Bettor's Delight over a Christian Cullen mare seems again to have worked the oracle.
Peter recalled that they were anxious to get into All Stars but knew it was against the odds. But Peter had a cunning plan.
"We got the colt broken in by Mark Smolenski and knew he did Mark and Natalie's youngsters so we were hoping he might make an impression while he was there. Mark was not that keen because they had so many youngsters but Mark Smolenski suggested he might be the goods and Mark said he would take him for a week on trial. He has been there ever since.
***OUR MILLIONAIRES - 1.Smolda $2.33m- 2--Lazarus -$2m +3=Auckland Reactor $1.837m4-Adore Me $1.677m 5-Il Vicolo $1.588m --6-I Can Doosit (T)-$1,455m-7-Have Faith In Me -$1,407m 8-Young Rufus $1,082m 9 Highview Tommy $1.021m (Dream About Me $997,000)
***LAZARUS starts a long chase after top stakes earners after becoming the latest (we think the 8th) to win more than $2m in stakes money. He hasn't quite joined that list in Australia of course ($1.94m) but that won't take long. Who does he have to chase ? Our unofficial list (E and OE!)-Australian statistics.
1 Black's a Fake $4.575m 2 Im Themightyquinn $4.567m 3-Smoken Up $3.66m 4-Mr Feelgood* $3.36m 6- Monkey King $3.33 m 7-Terror To Love $2.377m 8 Changeover $2.32m 9-Shakamaker $2.29m 10 Smolda $2.27m.
*Mr Feelgood earned the bulk of his stakes in the USA
Other horses we have found to have won over $A2m in descending order- Our Sir Vancelot, Lyell Creek*, Christen Me, Beautide, Village Kid, Lennytheshark, and Westburn Grant.
Elsu won over $NZ2m while Luxury Liner, Christopher Vance, Chokin, Auckland Reactor, Master Musician, Holmes D G and Yulestar won between$1.7m and $1.9m each.
*Lyell Creek seems a little short changed in Australian records at $2.25m.. He won over $2.9m according to his New Zealand record which would place him 7th on our overall(unofficial) list.
-MASTER TRAINER ROY PURDON LOOKS BACK ON THE HORSES AND TIMES THAT MADE HIM FAMOUS
I HAD A very nice birthday with the family and in spite of what some reports claimed I didn't have two of them!. You don't need those at my age. It has always been on February 16. I hear there was a little betting on whether I would make 90 and without naming anyone I understand quite a good collectwas involved though I haven't heard the details !
I am off to Menangle on Friday in my first visit to Australia in a long time. Mark has often asked me to go and I thought well this was one time when I didn't want to turn him down. I just hope I don't have to fill in too many forms. Margaret always did that for us and I might be wishing more than ever she was still around
I think the last time I was over there was for Mark actually. He asked me to take ANOTHER PARTY over for him to the Bathurst Crown (1997) a bigger race then ($A90 stake-$45g to the winner) and we didn't get beat on the trip so I hope that is a good sign this time.
The only leadup race was at Bankstown and what a rough race it was ! I thought this is going to bea real problem if it continues like this. There was an accident on the first corner, another pileup on the next lap and more trouble later. But we got home without any damage. Then we had to go to Bathurst for a couple of qualifying races. The Inter Dominions were over by then so Brian Hancock at whose place we were staying, was able to drive. He won the first qualifier, then won the second and Tony (Herlihy) drove him in the final and he won that too. It ended up being a very successful trip.
Another Party was sold to Perth after that race. He turned out to be a very good horse. He won a Hunter Cup ($A400,000) beating Shakamaker, Atitagain, Holmes DG-Yulestar and Home n Hosed)and proved a very good buy all round.
I couldn't get to the sales up here but followed them with interest. I actually bought very few yearlings in my time. I didn't really have a lot of requests to do so. Partly that was because I had top owner-breeders ( Reids for example) and a number of my bigger clients bought made horses to race up here. It wasn't a bad way to go. Now you can spend a big sum on a horse not knowing how it will turn out when the same money will still buy a nice horse ready to race. The other thing was that the yearling sales were different in that era.
Looking forward to Menangle and hoping no complications on the travel !